2020 MANITOULIN ICE SHOWDOWN
OFFICIAL RULES & REGULATIONS
To download the rules as a print-ready PDF please click here
- The derby will take place on Manitowaning Bay and Lake Manitou.
- Registered participants shall not fish on the derby lakes (Manitowaning Bay and Lake Manitou) between 12:01 am Thursday, February 20, 2020 and the official derby start time of 8:00 am on Saturday, February 22, 2020.
- Derby fishing times are Saturday, February 22, 2020 from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm and Sunday, February 23, 2020 from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm. ANY REGISTERED PARTICIPANT FOUND TO BE FISHING ON MANITOWANING BAY OR LAKE MANITOU OUTSIDE OF THESE TIMES WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.
- Cash only, on-site ticket sales will be located at the Manitowaning Bay-Bayside Resort check-in station and all three of the Lake Manitou check-in stations until noon on Saturday, February 22, 2020. Registration is complete when payment is received.
- The derby will have 300 pre-drilled holes at Manitowaning Bay-Bayside Resort which will be spaced 30 feet apart. Participants may drill their own holes, including inside or beside ice huts, but must maintain a distance of 30 feet from another flagged hole; this distance may be reduced if agreed to by all affected parties.
- Each participant may fish with a maximum of two lines. A minimum distance of 30 feet from another flagged ice fishing hole is required; this distance may be reduced if agreed to by all affected parties.
- Notwithstanding rule number 12, a non-registered individual may not be fishing with registered participants. If there are non-registered individuals found to be fishing with registered participants, the registered participants will be disqualified from the derby.
- This is a family event, absolutely NO ALCOHOL ALLOWED or INTOXICATED PERSONS. Any alcoholic beverages will be confiscated.
- All lines and huts are subject to inspection by a derby official at any time during the derby. Participants MUST open the door of their ice hut when requested by derby officials or conservation officers; failure to do so will result in disqualification.
- Any participant requiring a fishing licence, as per provincial regulations, is required to have a valid fishing licence to participate in the derby. All participants will abide by the Ontario Fishing Regulations.
- Any participant breaking any of these rules and regulations and/or any applicable Ontario laws will be disqualified. Participants who are disqualified for cheating will receive a lifetime ban. Participants who are disqualified may be prosecuted under the Criminal Code of Canada for using fraudulent means to acquire prizes.
- There is no minimum age for participating in the derby, however:
- all minors under the age of 16, must be with an individual who is over the age of majority at all times during the derby;
- minors do not need to purchase a derby ticket but cannot weigh in fish and are not eligible for any prizing unless they have purchased a ticket in their name.
- Participants may use snowmobiles and all terrain vehicles on both derby lakes; however, participants are asked to please respect the fishing areas and other participants by keeping vehicle usage to a minimum.
- All participants must do their utmost to exhibit good sportsmanship and environmental stewardship and are responsible for removing all their belongings, including their litter, at the end of each day.
- Derby boundaries will be marked at Buzwah Fisheries and must be respected. Absolutely no fish caught inside the marked boundaries surrounding the fish farm will be eligible to be weighed in.
- There will be check-in stations on Manitowaning Bay at Bayside Resort, Buzwah Fisheries, and Manitowaning Marina; and on Lake Manitou at Sandfield, Scotch Line Road, and Holiday Haven Road.
- Check-in station times are Saturday, February 22, 2020 from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm and Sunday, February 23, 2020 from 7:00 am to 12:30 pm.
- Registered participants MUST register at an official check-in station on the lake which they are fishing by noon on Saturday, February 22, 2020 and/or by 10:00 am on Sunday, February 23, 2020. Registered participants may only fish that lake at which they are registered for the day and may only weigh in their fish at one of the check-in stations at the lake at which they are registered for the day. Participant failure to check in will disqualify their fish from being entered into the derby.
- All participants will be provided with a flag(s) bearing their participant number which they will be required to place next to the hole(s) in which they are fishing. If using a hut, the flag(s) must be placed next to the hut, visible to derby officials. This flag(s) can be used to reserve hole(s) for the derby and may be moved during derby hours; however, it may only be moved to another location on the same lake that the participant is registered at for the day.
- All fish (respecting and abiding by Ontario Sport Fishing Regulations) that are kept by the participant for weigh-in must be brought live into the check-in station;
- frozen fish will be deemed ineligible;
- a valid paper or electronic derby ticket and valid picture identification MUST be shown to a derby weigh-in official when the fish is being weighed;
- only fish caught by registered participants, from their designated flagged hole(s), may be deemed legal entries;
- if a weigh-in official has any concern regarding intentional tampering with the fish to alter its weight the fish will be further inspected and the official will take necessary steps to further examine the fish including cutting the fish open
- during the course of the derby, a live leaderboard will be maintained and updated when new prize-winning weights are recorded at the weigh-in stations. Because the leading weights are readily available the organizers of the Manitoulin Ice Showdown would like to encourage the practice of catch and release for fish that would not be in contention for a prize.
- Each fish weighed will be provided with a weigh-in form completed at the check-in station, which must be kept for the duration of the derby. The weight will be recorded in Pounds (lbs).
- Participants may only register two fish per day for a maximum of four for the derby.
- Top ten prizes are determined by the heaviest weight and time of fish caught. All species, except Ling, are eligible.
- All fish must be weighed by 5:00 pm on Saturday, February 22, 2020 and 12:30 pm on Sunday, February 23, 2020. Weigh-in times will be strictly enforced.
- Only registered participants are eligible for prizes.
- There are 20 major prizes (Top Ten on each lake). In case of a tie, the time of weigh-in will be the deciding factor with the earlier fish winning the prize. All major prizes, as awarded, are final.
- Major prizes will be awarded beginning at 2:00 pm Sunday, February 23, 2020 at the Awards Presentation. Participants awarded major prizes do not need to be present but are responsible to claim it at the Wikwemikong Development Commission at 2102 Wikwemikong Way, Wikwemikong ON.
- The Early Bird and Registration prizes are lottery prizes and are not major fishing prizes.
- To qualify for the Early Bird Draw, registration and payment MUST be received by Monday, January 20, 2020 either in-person at a registered ticket sales location or online through www.fishmanitoulin.com. The Early Bird Draw will be held Friday, January 24, 2020 at 3:00 pm via Facebook Live and posted to the Manitoulin Ice Showdown event page.
- The registration prize will be drawn via Facebook Live on Saturday, February 22, 2020 at 7:00 pm and will be posted on the Manitoulin Ice Showdown event page. The prize can be claimed on Sunday, February 23, 2020 at the Awards Presentation.
- Door prizes must be claimed, in person, by winning participants.
- There will be no cash substitutions or prize exchanges. All prizes are final as awarded.
TAGGED FISH CONTEST – MANITOWANING BAY
- 50 rainbow trout will be tagged and released on Friday, February 21, 2020 in Manitowaning Bay.
- The first participant to catch a tagged fish on Saturday, February 22, 2020 will win $2,500; the first participant to catch a tagged fish on Sunday, February 23, 2020 will win $2,500.
- At the end of each day, per the derby fishing times outlined in rule number 3, if NO tagged fish are caught, that day’s prize will be randomly drawn; all registered participants that fished Manitowaning Bay that day will qualify for the random draw, which will be held at the Awards Presentation on Sunday, February 23, 2020.
TARGET WEIGHT CONTEST – LAKE MANITOU
- A target weight will be chosen each day of the derby by derby officials and made public at 8:00 am each morning of the derby at the derby sites as well as through social media.
- Only fish caught and weighed on Lake Manitou will be eligible. All species, except Ling, are eligible.
- The weight will be recorded in Pounds (lbs).
- The first participant to catch an eligible fish weighing the target weight on Saturday, February 22, 2020 will win $2,500; the first participant to catch an eligible fish weighing the target weight on Sunday, February 23, 2020 will win $2,500.
- At the end of each day, per the derby fishing times outlined in rule number 3, if NO eligible fish weighing the target weight are caught, that day’s prize will be awarded to the participant with the eligible fish weighing closest to the target weight; in the case of a tie, the time of weigh-in will be the deciding factor, with the earlier fish winning the prize.
PIMP’D HUT BIG TROUT CONTEST – MANITOWANING BAY & LAKE MANITOU
- The Big Trout contest is determined by combined weight over two days. 2 Trout maximum per day as per rule #22 will win the Pimp’d Hut prize package;
- if the winning participant is under the age of majority, the alcoholic beverages will be removed from the prize package;
- if the winner is not eligible to receive the alcoholic beverages due to age constraints, the beer may be provided to an accompanying adult or will be raffled off by random draw for all participants over the age of majority.
- All species of TROUT, or combination of TROUT, caught in either Manitowaning Bay and/or Lake Manitou are eligible.
- The weight will be recorded in Pounds (lbs).
- In case of a tie, the times of weigh-in will be the deciding factor, with the participant that obtained the winning weight combination first being the winner.
- If NO trout is caught and weighed, the prize will be randomly drawn at the Awards Presentation on Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 2:00 pm; all registered participants will qualify for the random draw, in accordance with the requirements of rule number 39.
- Each entrant, upon registration to compete in the Manitoulin Ice Showdown, agrees to indemnify and save harmless Wikwemikong Development Commission, Manitoulin Publishing Company Limited (The Manitoulin Expositor), their agents, employees, sponsors, and event volunteers from any liability, expenses, claims, or demands that may arise from participating.
- By entering the derby, all participants declare an understanding of all derby rules and regulations and agree to abide by them.
- All rules are subject to the interpretation of the Wikwemikong Development Commission and The Manitoulin Publishing Company Limited (The Manitoulin Expositor).
- Any new official rule condition or deletion will be posted at the derby lakes, fishmanitoulin.com, and on derby social media page(s).
CANCELLATION OF DERBY
- The Wikwemikong Development Commission reserves the right to cancel the derby and provide a full refund if ice conditions and/or long-range forecasts appear unfavourable for sufficient safe ice use by February 15, 2020.
REGISTRATION CANCELLATION BY PARTICIPANT
- Registration cancellations will be accepted up until 12:00 noon on Friday, February 21, 2020 by contacting the Wikwemikong Development Commission at (705) 859-3477 or 1-844-945-8687.
- Cancelled registrations will not be eligible for any bonuses or lottery prizes, including the registration prize or early bird draw.
- All cancellations will be subject to a $20. cancellation fee.
- Processing fees for online purchases will not be refunded, nor will they be credited towards cancellation fees.
TRANSFERABILITY OF REGISTRATION
- Derby registrations are fully transferable without fee. Transfers will be accepted up until 12:00 noon on Friday, February 21, 2020 by contacting the Wikwemikong Development Commission at (705) 859-3477 or 1-844-945-8687.
- Photos and videos taken during the derby, or at any derby related event, may be used by the Wikwemikong Development Commission and The Manitoulin Publishing Company Limited (The Manitoulin Expositor) without permission or compensation.